Welcome

Welcome to 'Just another home improvement blog' - here you will find daily posts on all things home improvement whether it be tips, news, product reviews or any other random stuff we see fit to blog about :D.

Feel free to browse our post archive and don't forget to e-mail me your renovation/home pictures as every week I post the hottest ones!

November 29, 2009

5 ways to create a more sustainable home

There are so many adverts on television right now offering advice on how to cut down on your carbon footprint and 'save the planet' - political views aside I understand the need for eco-friendly housing and also the demands from consumers to businesses internationally to make everything more sustainable.

I was not the first person to jump on the band waggon - I was and am infact a huge sceptic of how us 'Humans' can stop global warming. I have however started doing certain things around my home which keeps the partner happy (she is a little bit of an activist).

Here are 5 ways that I have made my home more sustainable:

1. Buy house plants. Plants are natures way of cleaning the air and producing oxygen.

2. Get a high-performance shower head. This will use 60% less water and most are designed to produce the same feeling of water pressure.

3. Turn your washing machine down. Turning your Washing Machine heat down to 30.c will cut down your monthly cost and the amount of electricity used.

4. Shower more instead of bath. Bathing uses 79% more hot water than showering.

5. Reduce your thermostat by 10 degrees. Even for just the 8 hours your family is out at work or school, will save you another 10% on your energy bill.

So there we go. A small yet precise list for you blogaholics to ponder on :) Oh, and don't forget - I would be delighted for you to leave a comment on ways in which you have undergone home improvement and a home sustainability project.

Just doing my bit for the Polar Bears :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment